domingo, 23 de abril de 2017

The selection (la selección [Spanish])

By Kiera Cass:

Source: SELECCIÓN, L. (n.d.). LA SELECCIÓN - LIBRERÍA CANAIMA. [online] Libreriacanaima.com. Available at: http://www.libreriacanaima.com/libro/la-seleccion_507459 [Accessed 23 Apr. 2017].

Kiera Cass shows a world with eight castes depending on one's social and economic status. Ones are the royals and most desirable, with Eights being the lowest and poorest. Although the author makes controversial premonitions about the future of America and the world, this is still fiction. The book is made for lovers of romantic novels, and it creates relaxing entertainment.
Some quotes from the book:
  • «"(...) you should know that love sometimes wears away under the stress of being married. Someone you think you love now, you might start to hate when he couldn’t provide for you. And if you couldn’t take care of your children, it’d be even worse. Love doesn’t always survive under those types of circumstances [America's mom]."»
  • «(...) We couldn’t afford the luxury of wants. We had needs.»
  • «(...) I should just be grateful we were safe.»
  • «(...). And it's old advice, but it's good: be yourself.»
  • «It was too much to bear, to be loved that much. I’d be surrounded by scores of guards at the palace, but I couldn’t imagine a place safer than my father’s arms. (...)»
  • «(...). I braced myself for all that was coming, and I made myself be brave. As for everything I was leaving behind, I decided I’d do just that: leave him behind. The palace would be my sanctuary. I’d never think or say his name again. He wasn’t allowed to come with me there: (...).»
  • «"You haven’t spent a whole lot of time with groups of girls, have you?" (...). "(...) they each have their ways of getting under other people’s skin. (...) it’s all about knowing the person, figuring out what will bug them the most. Lots of girls give me backhanded compliments, or little remarks, things like that. I know I come across as bubbly, but I’m shy underneath that, and they think they can wear me down with words." (...). "For you, someone kind of quiet and mysterious..." (...). "(...). And sometimes people don’t know whether to interpret silence as confidence or fear. They’re looking at you like you’re a bug so maybe you’ll feel like you are one.” (...). “I ignore it. I know one girl at home who gets so irritated when she can’t bother you, she just ends up sulking. So don’t worry,” (...). “All you have to do is not let them know they’re getting to you.”», Marlee said.
  • «“Tsk-tsk. A lady never raises her voice above a gentle whisper.”»
  • «(...) never, ever reach for a pastry with our hands. Always use the tongs. Hands were to rest in our lap when not in use, napkin draped underneath. We weren’t to speak unless spoken to. Of course, we could talk quietly to our neighbors, but always at a level befitting the palace.»
  • «“Maxon, I hope you find someone you can’t live without. (...). And I hope you never have to know what it’s like to have to try and live without them.”», America said.
  • «I’d heard my mom talk about your first love being the one that sticks with you.»
  • «What kind of friend held those kinds of secrets while making me spill all my own?»
  • «"(...) Mom is always on Father to give more to the school systems — she thinks the more educated you are, the less likely you are to be a criminal, (...) but Father is never forceful enough to get them to take away from other areas that could manage perfectly with lower funds. (...)."», Maxon said.
  • «The selection» celebrates 5 years:

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário